Friday, August 10, 2012

Adelaide Wine Appreciation Club - The Hedonist

I attended the Adelaide Wine Appreciation Club wine tasting on Thursday night at the Bull & Bear. The wines of the night were from the Hedonist winery in McLaren Vale and were presented by James and Colin Cooter. I had not attended a wine tasting before so it was quite a fun experience and the members of the club made me feel very welcome. My favorite wine of the night was the 2010 The Hedonist Cabernet Sauvignon. I usually drink shiraz but have been trying different varieties in the hope of finding something new to drink. The cabernet sauvignon might just be a new favorite. I think the rose would also be fantastic outside during the summer with some pizza. It was really interesting to hear about the different wines directly from the winemaker; however, I do think that I need to have some sort of lesson in the terms used to describe the wines. There was lots of talk of oak and sulfur. Each flight of wines (this was the first time I had heard the term "flight of wines") was accompanied by a different style of food. I think the highlight was the salt and pepper squid. All in all it was a good night with an interesting group of wine enthusiasts and I look forward to attending other wine tastings in the future.

NV Louis Bouillot---Blanc Method Champonoise

2011 Lengs & Cooter Reisling
2011 The Hedonist Oaked Chardonnay

2011 The Hedonist Sangiovese Rose
2010 The Hedonist Bacchus Block Shiraz/Cab/Mer/Temp.

2010 The Hedonist Cabernet Sauvignon
2004 Magella Cabernet Sauvignon

2010 The Hedonist Shiraz
2005 Shingleback Shiraz

Lengs & Cooter NV Sparkling Shiraz

http://www.hedonistwines.com.au/

No comments:

Post a Comment