Saturday, October 1, 2011

Sock it too, them

Richard Branson's blog recently described a story about an entrepreneur who said he wanted to be so successful that he would never have to wear socks ever again. I thought this was a rather intriguing goal and it raises some interesting questions. First, is there a scale of success measurable by the items you no longer have to wear? Would one be deemed even more successful than the sock-less if they didn't have to wear a watch, for example? I am already successful enough that I hardly ever have to wear gloves, certainly not in a professional context anyway. What about shoes? Hats? and is it limited to clothing? What about deodorant? Am I more, or less, successful if not wearing deodorant? It also makes me wonder about those who cannot wear socks; I mean, if one had no feet - one would not wear socks - and therefore be deemed a success. If you set the benchmark for success at being sock-less are you at liberty to wear a single sock when you are half-way to your goal? I can only imagine that it won't be long until we are surrounded by successful people - all  wearing short pants, putting their feet up on the table, casually picking at their toenails - just to ensure that we are all aware of their newly acquired sans-socks-status.

Sock it to them

1 comment:

  1. Sir Richard had a photoshoot with his girlfriend...kitesurfing naked. I guess hes very successful

    ReplyDelete